Web standards are technologies that are used to create and interpret web-based content. The standards were established by the World Wide Web Consortium, as well as other entities. The standards are designed to do two things: (1) make web sites accessible to as many people as possible, and (2) help ensure that today’s web sites are compatible with future browsers.
Some of the benefits to designing with standards include:
- Easier site development and maintenance
- Reduced risk of incompatibility with future browsers
- Smaller file size and faster downloads
- Improved accessibility
- Better search engine rankings
- Adapts more easily to print and alternative browsing devices
Visit this link for a detailed article on designing with web standards.