Do you want to use your knowledge and experience working with horses to volunteer during our therapeutic riding lessons? The horse leader will work with the riding instructor and is responsible for grooming, tacking and leading horses safely for riders in therapeutic lessons.
Time Commitment: At least 2 hours per week.
- Maintaining safety of humans and equines.
- Grooming and tacking for lessons.
- Notify staff of any injuries/soundness issues discovered when grooming.
- Arrive in the arena at least 5 minutes prior to the start of class.
- Lead horse during lessons and manage horse during mounts and dismounts.
- Complete one training session per year.
- Notify instructor of any safety issues regarding the horse, tack, or rider.
- Be familiar with all emergency procedures.
- Work with equine prior to leading in a lesson.
- Continually assess horse’s attitude and attention during the lesson.
- Notify staff of scheduling conflicts at least one day in advance of scheduled volunteer time.
- Knowledge and experience with leading, grooming, and tacking horses.
- Knowledge of proper equine care and maintenance.
- Able to walk at least 30 minutes at a time.
- Basic knowledge of riding skills.
- Proper grooming methods.
- Proper position of tack/adaptive equipment.
- Proper leading/handling techniques.
- Familiarity with riders of all abilities.
- Basic knowledge of equine illness/unsoundness.